The budget for 2016 was adopted on 3rd November 2015.
The list below outlines some of the headline areas of expenditure within the overall budget of €214m:
- €10.6m to be spent on maintenance and improvement of Local Authority housing
- €16.8m on Rental Accommodation Scheme
- €3.6m on economic development and tourism promotion
- €1.75m on Community and Enterprise
- €14.5m on Regional and Local Road maintenance and improvement
- €4.8m on Public Lighting
- €11.8m on Library Services
- €16.1m on Parks and outdoor recreation
- €500,000 for capital works at Newbridge Demense and Malahide Castle
- €300,000 for flood defence
- €876,000 for events including St. Patrick’s Day, Flavours of Fingal, Summer Events, Christmas Events and other special events.
In my discussions with the Chief Executive and Head of Finance I stated that my support was conditional on expenditure and investment being spread across the County. So Donabate, Meakestown, Santry and Swords needed to see investment particularly with regard to capital projects as well as the road and special works programme.
Another area I have worked on with officials is community development in particular for those estates that were built since 2000. I have received a positive response to this and some progress has been made. For example I would hope that the Meakestown area will be able to avail of summer project funding in 2016.
One other change to the budget process was a proposal that I made to officials and agreed on – The budget publications will all now include reference to Council expenditure per head of population so in 2016 the Council will spend €781 for every person living in Fingal.