Fingal County Council in partnership with Fingal Dublin Chamber of Commerce and other Stakeholders are working on a pilot scheme to develop Swords Town Centre as a Purple Flag Town.
The Purple Flag is the “gold standard” for town centres at night and is the highest internationally recognised award for the evening and night-time economy in Europe. Town centres meeting the standards can fly the flag to the benefit of businesses, consumers and the wider economy. It brings increased footfall and strong recognition to the town centre as a dynamic, safe, clean and fun place to be at night and is a fantastic tool for promoting a quality evening and night-time economy offering to local, regional, national and international visitors.
8 ways the Purple Flag will benefit Swords:
• A real genuine understanding of where Swords strengths lie and which areas need improvement.
• A platform to create an effective long term plan for change and for mid-term growth.
• An increase in the effectiveness of the management of the town through the discovery of new ways of doing things.
• Better communications and stronger relationships across both the organisations and between Fingal County Council, Businesses and Local Communities.
• More People – evening and night-time footfall with Purple Flag up to 10% higher.
• Less crime – Towns with the Purple Flag report a reduction in night-time crime year-on-year.
• More Activity – It becomes easier to plan and introduce new events and new night-time projects.
• Increasing the profile of Swords at night and the Purple Flag programme as a whole makes it easy to promote a better message,- leading to Better Local, Regional and international exposure.
I am delighted to support this very worthwhile initiative.